Wednesday, May 13, 2009

reflex[ology]

How many things do we do out of reflex?
According to my favorite encyclopedia, Wikipedia, reflex is an involuntary and nearly instantaneous movement in response to a stimulus.

One funny experience reminded me of this question this morning. I was singing my current favorite song (Seasons of Love, if you must know) when I walked out of the house. As I was riding the tryk, I tried to remember if I locked the front door or not. I couldn't, for the life of me, recall if I did lock the door. Then I thought of all the possible grim scenarios, in case I left the door open. The would-be burglars could not be charged with Art. 299, Robbery with force upon things, since they do not have to break any door or window - they just have to walk through the door which I left open. They can only be charged with Theft and Trespass to Dwelling. Wait, I digress. (got a bad case of Crim 2 hangover)

Anyway, to ease all my doubts, I asked the driver to go back so that I can check the door. Guess what, its locked! :) I apparently closed the door out of reflex since I go out of that door every morning. It has already become part of my system and has become a reflex action.

Now, back to the question. Or maybe, a more relevant question would be: How many of these reflex actions are so important that we should also savor it, put some value into it, and not merely do it out of reflex? Another interesting question would be: What actions should we do habitually so that eventually we can do it out of reflex?

Just keep thinking... just keep thinking...

No comments: